Dr. Janne Marij Koornneef
04/2007 – 06/2011
Ph.D in geochemistry, ETH-Zürich, Switzerland.
Thesis title: “U-series constraints on melt generation and magma evolution”. Supervisors: Prof. Bernard Bourdon and Dr. Andreas Stracke.
09/2004 – 01/2007
M.Sc. Earth Sciences: Lithosphere tectonics, petrology and isotope geochemistry, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
Thesis title: ‘In situ Sr isotope analysis by laser-ablation multi-collector ICP-MS: An application to zoned plagioclase crystals from Stromboli Volcano (Italy).
Research Project: ‘Modification of the Tanzanian Lithospheric Mantle by Multi-stage Metasomatism: A Geochemical and Isotopic Study of Xenoliths from Labait Volcano, Northern Tanzania’. Cum laude.
09/2001 – 09/2004
B.Sc. Earth Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
BSc. thesis title: ‘Xenolith Localities in the East African Rift and Detailed Petrographic Descriptions of Xenoliths from Labait Volcano, Northern Tanzania.’
01/2016 – present:
Assistant professor, Faculty of Sciences, VU Amsterdam, The Netherlands
01/2018 – present:
Project leader ERC-starting grant “ReVolusions – Quantifying Recycling Fluxes of Earth Surface Materials and Volatiles in Subduction Zones using Melt Inclusions”.
01/2016 – 08/2019:
ERC synergy Grant: Nexus 1492: New World Encounters in a Globalising World” . Role: Technique development in Archaeometry. Optimisation of TIMS techniques for archaeological applications and application of techniques using a portable laser system designed to sample archaeological materials in museums in the Caribbean.
01/2016 – 09/2017
Application of techniques using high Ohm amplifiers installed in TRITON-plus TIMS and Neptune to measure sub-nanogram geological samples for their Sr, Nd and Pb isotope compositions (EuroPlanet research fellow).
04/2011 – 12/2015
Post-doctoral researcher, Faculty of Earth and Life sciences, VU Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
01/2014 – 12/2015: Application of techniques using high Ohm amplifiers installed in TRITON-plus TIMS and Neptune to measure sub-nanogram geological samples for their Sr, Nd and Pb isotope compositions.
01/2014 – 12/2015:
ERC synergy Nexus 1492: Technique development in Archaeometry. Optimisation of TIMS techniques for archaeological applications and set-up of techniques using a portable laser system designed to sample archaeological materials in museums in the Caribbean.
01/2013 – 12/2013:
New applications of U-series analysis to Quaternary geochronology and mantle melting models.
04/2011 – 12/2012:
Technique development using high Ohm amplifiers installed in TRITON-plus TIMS to measure sub-nanogram geological samples for their Sr and Nd isotope compositions.
02/2011 – 03/2011
Post doctoral researcher, Institute of Geochemistry and Petrology, ETH-Zürich, Switzerland. Method development to measure U-series in situ by LA-MC-ICPMS in the mineral titanite.
2006 – 2007
Student assistant, Department of Petrology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Technique development of in-situ Sr isotope analyses by LA-MC-ICPMS.
2003 – 2006
Student assistant, Bureau of Education, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Assistant in information and communication technology for the Faculty of Earth Sciences.
Grants and prizes
- ERC-Starting Grant (2018-2023): ReVolusions: “Quantifying Recycling Fluxes of Earth Surface Materials and Volatiles in Subduction Zones using Melt Inclusions”. $1.75M
- The Netherlands Research Centre for Integrated Solid Earth Science (ISES), 1 year post doc grant (2013) “New applications of U-series analysis to Quaternary geochronology and mantle melting models” $75k
- Van Rijngelden Grant (2006). National grant for talented students to acquire a student-assistantship (0.2 fte). The associated research concerned technique development of in-situ Sr isotope analyses by LA-MC-ICPMS at the Department of Petrology, VU Amsterdam.
- Fieldwork grant from Stichting dr. Schurmannfonds (2004) to sample xenoliths in Tanzania ($7k)
Major contributor to successful grant applications:
- Europlanet Research Infrastructure 2024, $10M (2020-2024). Role in TA and JRA.
- DCO sub-award to finance ETN proposal writing workshop in Rome July 2018 ($10k)
- SIBA (2017-2021): Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC, UK) funded post doc who I co supervise ~$600k
- NWO Planetary Science Research (2017-2021): Combined trace elements and stable isotope fractionation during planetary core formation; PhD student ~$310k
- NWO NICAS (2016-2020): “Multi isotopic analysis of early modern art: linking origin, trade and production of raw materials with provenance research”. Co-supervisions of PhD student ~$310k
o Europlanet Research Infrastructure 2020 (2015-2019). Role in JRA and TA ~$500k
- ERC Synergy: “NEXUS 1492: New World Encounters in a Globalising World”. (2013-2018); 2 PhD and three post docs, four of who I co supervise, ~$17.5M
- International Association of Geoanalysts prize for highest quality abstract in terms of quality of research and clarity of reporting submitted to Goldschmidt 2011 (Best of ~1000 abstracts. Prize: IAG society membership).
- Geostandards and Geoanalytical Research Journal prize for Best Student Presentation in Theme 18 (Best of 18, Goldschmidt 2011 ($100)
- W.P. de Roever Prize for best annual M.Sc. Thesis in Dutch Earth Sciences (2007) ($860).
Teaching and supervision
- Co-promotor (2018 – present) of PhD student Twan Bracco-Gartner funded on my ERC-StG ReVolusions. Quantification of subduction recycling by radiogenic isotopes in melt inclusions.
- Co-promotor (2018 – present) of PhD student Natascia Luciani funded on my ERC-StG ReVolusions. Quantification of volatile recycling in subduction zones.
- Co-promotor (2016 – present) of PhD student Paolo D’Imporzano funded by NWO Netherlands Institute for Conservation Art and Science (NICAS); provenance of art.
- Co-promotor (2015 – present) of PhD student Michael Gress funded by NWO. Diamond formation. Link of carbon cycle to deep time.
- Co-promotor of PhD project (VU 2013 to present). Ms. Alice Knaf studies as part of ERC-Synergy ‘NEXUS 1492’ the distribution patterns of lithic artefacts in the Caribbean archipelago based on multiple isotope analyses.
- Co promotor of PhD project Ms. Esther Plomp as part of ERC-Synergy ‘NEXUS 1492’. Use of isotopes in human teeth for provenance. VU 2013 – present; defence is scheduled for Sept 2020.
- Co-promotor of completed PhD project (VU 2011- 2018). MSc. Alan M. Abdullah examined how extension of the crust and associated magmatism in East Africa is leading to modification of the lithospheric mantle beneath Tanzania. Funded by international aid to Iraq from US and EU governments.
BSc and MSc supervision
- Design and supervision of MSc. Project (VU 2020, 4 students). Subduction recycling by a melt inclusions study on Peninsular Italy. Lab based.
- Design and supervision of BSc. project (AUC/VU 2020, 1 student). Raman spectroscopy of bubbles in melt inclusions from Italy. Lab based.
- Design and supervision of MSc. Project (VU 2016, 2 students). Subduction recycling by a melt inclusion study at the Aeolian Islands, Italy. Including fieldwork.
- Design and Supervision of BSc. Project (VU 2014, 1 student). Melting processes beneath Jan Mayen, lab based project
- Design and supervision of MSc. Project (VU 2013, 1 student). Characterisation of mantle peridotite xenoliths from La Palma, Canary Islands. Including fieldwork.
- Design and supervision of MSc. Project (VU 2012, 3 students). Characterisation of mantle peridotite xenoliths from Lanzarote, Canary Islands. Including fieldwork
- Supervison of MSc. Project (VU 2011, 1 student). Set-up of TIMS techniques to measure 142Nd/144Nd at best possible precision. Lab-based project.
- Lecturer/coordinator of course ‘Scientific Skills’ (BSc course VU)
- Lecturer in various courses (several lectures on “Geochemistry of oceanic basalts” and “Analytical techniques” in Petrology of System Earth (BSc. Course VU), “U-series in magmatic systems” Magmatic Processes (MSc. Course VU)
- Assisting in practical’s of several courses given at the VU and at ETH (Rock Properties (BSc. VU), Petrology of System Earth (BSc.VU), Crystals and Minerals, BSc. ETH Zürich).
Organisation/supervision of student field courses at ETH Zürich and VU Amsterdam
- Coordinator field course Ardennes, Belgium (VU First year BSc. 2012-2020), 1 week.
- Jumilla Spain (VU, first year BSc. 2012-2019), 2 weeks.
- Sampling volcanic rocks at the Aeolian Islands (VU MSc. 2016) 10 days.
- Laacher See Volcanic deposits (VU, BSc. 2013, 2014), 4 days
- Sampling the La Palma mantle (VU MSc. 2013), 1 week.
- Sampling the Lanzarote mantle (VU MSc. 2012), 1 week.
- A cross-section through the Alps (ETH, First year BSc. 2007, 2008), 1 week.
Management and organisation
- BSc Education committee VU. Sep 2018-present. Chair starting Sept 2020.
- Organising committee and session chair, Nederlands Aardwetenschappelijk Congres (NAC), Utrecht March 2019.
- ERC-Stg Revolutions project manager VU. Two PhDs and a post doc. Jan 2018-2023.
- Science acquisition committee VU. 2018-present.
- VU student cohort supervisor 2019-2020 (until this cohort finishes in 2025).
- Lab manager Thermal Ionisation Mass Spectrometry (TIMS – Triton Plus) laboratory VU (2011-2020).
International academic activities
- Thermo Fischer Scientific. I provide feedback on the performance of new generation resistors in Faraday detection systems (TIMS and IRMS), with the aim to more precisely measure isotope ratios in minute geological and environmental samples.
- Dr. Sarah Lambart, University of Utah, USA. Numerical melt modelling to understand melting of a heterogenous mantle. Collaborator on submitted NWO-Klein proposal.
- Prof. Paul Wallace, University of Oregon, USA. Reconstruction of volatile contents in melt inclusions. Collaborator and co-promotor of PhD on ERC-Stg ReVolusions.
- Prof. Douwe van Hinsbergen, Utrecht. Reconstruction of the Italian geodynamic setting with time. Collaborator on ERC-Stg ReVolusions.
- Prof. Max Schmidt, ETH-Zurich. Partitioning of elements in subduction zones. Collaborator on ERC-Stg ReVolusions.
- Dr. Lorella Francalanci & Riccardo Avanzinelli. Collaboration on volcanic rocks from the Aeolian Islands, Italy (Vulcano, Filicudi, Alicudi, Stromboli, 2016) and Greece submarine volcano. A PhD student of Dr. Francalanci will visit VU for six months in 2020.
- Dr. Lyderic France, CRPG Nancy, France. Radiogenic isotopes in melt inclusions from Oldoiyo Lengai, Tanzania and in minerals from the oceanic crust.
- Dr. Yakov Weiss, University of Jeruzalem, Israel. Radiogenic isotopes in fibrous diamonds. Current Europlanet-2024 application for funds to cover research visit to VU.
- Dr. Felix Genske, Munster, Germany. Radiogenic isotopes in melt inclusion from the Azores.
- Dr. Jason Harvey, Leeds, UK. Investigate mantle heterogeneity by analyses of Pb isotopes in mantle derived sulphides.
- Dr. Matt Jackson, University of Santa Barbara, California, USA. Sr-Nd in melt inclusions from Samoa and Hawaii.
- Prof. Jeff Harris, University of Glasgow. Mineral inclusions in gem quality diamonds from Venetia South Africa.
- Dr. Johan Lissenberg & Dr. Sarah Lambart, Cardiff, Wales. Analyses of small Nd samples in gabbros from the ocean floor to obtain a better understanding of the scale of mantle heterogeneity beneath Mid Ocean Ridges.
- Dr. Joachim Koch and Prof. Detlef Gunther at the Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, ETH-Zurich, to develop portable laser ablation sampling for samples that cannot be taken into the lab with the aim to do multiple isotope analyses.
- Dr. Sarah Aciego and Dr. Sarah Aarons. University of Michigan, USA. Analyses of Nd isotopes in dust from ice cores used for paleo-climate reconstruction.
- Dr. Igor Nikogosian and Manfred van Bergen, University of Utrecht. Determination of Sr, Nd and Pb isotope compositions of single melt inclusions from circum Tyrrhenian lavas.
- Prof. Detlef Günther and Dr. Bodo Hattendorf at the Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, ETH Zürich. Set-up of U-series laser ablation techniques in accessory minerals.
- Dr. Klaus-Peter Jochum and Dr. Brigitte Stoll at the Max-Planck Institute, Mainz. Analyses of Icelandic samples for trace element compositions by LA-ICPMS.
Presentations at International Conferences
- Virtual Goldschmidt 2020, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Goldschmidt Conference 2019, Barcelona, Spain (session chair)
- Goldschmidt Conference 2018, Boston, USA.
- EGU General Assembly 2018 Vienna, Austria.
- Goldschmidt Conference 2017 Paris, France.
- Goldschmidt Conference 2016 Yokohama, Japan.
- TechnArt 2015, Catania, Italy.
- AGU Fall Meeting 2014, San Francisco, USA.
- Goldschmidt Conference 2013, Florence, Italy.
- AGU Fall Meeting 2012, San Francisco, USA.
- Goldschmidt Conference 2012, Montreal, Canada.
- Goldschmidt Conference 2011, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Goldschmidt Conference 2010, Knoxville, USA.
- Penrose Conference 2009: “Plumes and Their Role in Whole Mantle Convection”, taking place at Pico, the Azores.
- Goldschmidt Conference 2009, Davos, Switzerland.
- AGU Fall Meeting 2008, San Francisco, USA.
- Kimberlite Conference 2007, Frankfurt, Germany.
- Keynote speaker Goldschmidt 2020 in session 02g: Using the Geochemists’ Toolbox to Trace Fractionations between Reservoirs at Depth.
- Invited speaker at geodynamics seminar. Earth Science department, Utrecht University.
- Keynote speaker at the annual Volcanic and Magmatic Studies Group (VMSG) in St. Andrews UK in session: “Tracking Earth’s volatiles: from the mantle to the atmosphere” (Jan 2019)
- Invited talk at Mineral-Hosted Melt Inclusions workshop at WHOI, Woods Hole, USA (Aug 2018)
- Invited speaker for monthly seminar at Geological Museum, Laren, Netherlands (May 2018).
- Invited speaker in departmental seminar of the Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics at Leeds University, UK (April 2018).
- Invited speaker EGU General Assembly (April 2018), Vienna, Austria, in session: Shaping the lithosphere: fluid-rock interaction, deformation and volatile cycles.
- Invited speaker for Europlanet webinar (Dec 2017). http://www.europlanet-eu.org/europlanet-webinar-diamonds-precious-times-capsules-from-the-deep-earth/
- Invited talk at NKAM symposium about Subduction Zones, VU Amsterdam (March 2016).
- Speaker in ‘Hotstuff’ seminar in the Bristol Isotope Group, University of Bristol, UK (Feb 2014).
- Guest speaker at Montessori Lyceum Amsterdam, Science and Philosophy course for 5 VWO students (Sept 2013).
- Invited speaker at AGU Fall Meeting (2012), San Francisco, USA, in session: “Innovations in Isotope Mass Spectrometry and Isotope Metrology in Geosciences.”
- Speaker in the departmental seminar in the Institute of Mineralogy, University of Munster, Germany (April 2012).
Commissions of trust and reviewing
- EscherPrize KNGMG(Shell) evaluation panel for yearly best Earth Science MSc thesis (2019).
- Examination committee PhD Defense Dr. Marylin Monster, Utrecht University (2016)
- Committee member on Belgium expert review panel IWT (“Agentschap voor Innovatie door Wetenschap en Technologie”) for Earth Science PhD grant applications. (2015 & 2016)
- Reading and examination committee PhD defense Dr. Nikolaj Walraven VUA (2013)
- Reviewer of manuscripts for leading international geochemical journals (Nature Communications, Earth and Planetary Science Letters; Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta; Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems; Chemical Geology; Journal of Petrology) as well as proposals for international funding agencies (i.e. NSF, NERC). 2011– present
Media and outreach
- > 15 Interviews with high school students for ‘profiel werkstukken’ about volcanism (2015-2020)
- Invited speaker ‘Spui25’ Amsterdam to general public, celebration of 10-year anniversary Amsterdam Science Magazine. (Jan 2020)
- Radio 3: ‘Mini-cursus vulkanologie’ related to eruption of Taal volcano, Philippines (Jan 2020)
- Amsterdam Science magazine item in #5. “Tiny magma droplets in olivine provide a window into the deep Earth”. (Dec 2019).
- Various popular science news articles related to our two Nature Geoscience publications (May & Sept 2019):
- Lecture ‘Proefstuderen’ for highschool students. “Magmatische monsters uit de diepe Aarde“. (April 2019).
- Contribution to ‘Kijk’ online popular science article about diamonds (July 2018).
- Invited speaker for monthly seminar at Geological Museum Hofland, Laren, Netherlands. Diamonds timecapsules from the deep Earth (May 2018).
- Invited speaker for Europlanet webinar (Dec 2017). http://www.europlanet-eu.org/europlanet-webinar-diamonds-precious-times-capsules-from-the-deep-earth/.
- Amsterdam Science cover page edition November 2017. Linked to publication on Venetia diamonds in Nature Communications.
- Various popular science articles about our Nature communications paper about diamonds (Sept-Nov 2017):
- Eén vandaag. Short TV item about eruption of Agung volcano on Bali. (Nov 2017)
- “De kennis van nu”. Radio broadcast about Bardarbunga eruption on Iceland (Jan 2015)
- NTR “De kennis van nu”. Radio and item on website. Eruption of Fogo, Cape Verdes (Nov 2014)
- Invited guest speaker at Montessori Lyceum Amsterdam, Science and Philosophy course for 5 VWO students (Sept 2013).